Saturday, October 19, 2013

Swimming against the tide !!


Megha Manchanda

The inhibition, apprehension, nervous energy before starting something new is inevitable.  Everyone’s a bundle of nerves before venturing into a new territory and so was I when I went to take my very first swimming lesson. It all started with my friend Jaya telling me that she had learnt swimming – a skill she really wanted to acquire from a long time.

This propelled me to start my “R&D process” to search for a sports center near my workplace that also complemented my office timings. The YMCA sports center was zeroed in, which is just a stone’s throw away from my centrally located workplace. I also managed to cajole two other of my friends to enroll for the swimming classes with me.

Now the new task before us was the purchase of swimming gear (read costume, cap, goggles, water-proof cream etc.). So after some shop hopping and bargaining for the right (cost-effective) price (after all we Indians love haggling!!)  we managed to get the “right” kind of swimsuits  (suitable for Indian sensibilities… Phew!!)  for all of us.

And then came the D-Day (the first day of our class) and we all reached the sports complex bang on time for our first lesson. We dressed up (pun unintended) for the class, (of course after applying a couple of coats of the water-proof anti-tan lotion) and reached the pool. To our dismay, we realized being in our late twenties we were the “oldies” in a class full of 8-12 year olds.

Moreover, thanks to the summer vacations the pool was filled more with I, II and III graders than water (of course, pun intended!!!!). As I was trying to acclimatize myself with the water my foot slipped and I wobbled a little inside the water. And before I could get up I heard a 10-year old scream “Didi!!! Daro matt dooboge nahi, shallow hai” (don’t be scared you won’t drown the water’s shallow).

Till date this sentence resonates in my ears when I try to remember my first swimming class. Also, what I cannot forget is that it took me as long as 40 minutes to learn the simple flotation lesson on that very first day.

The recurring thought in my mind till the class lasted – Oh damn! I wish I had learnt this way back in school and by now I would have been a “pro” (I AM SURE!!!).

I must confess it is really embarrassing to be singled out in a class full of wacky (also read unruly, boisterous and wicked) kids and told by your coach that you should be a little more ‘serious’ in the class. While the pep talk was on the bell rang, declaring the end of the hour long class. Thankfully cutting short those embarrassing moments for me !!.

But while coming out from the pool, I promised myself that I will not leave this place without learning the sport. After nearly 20 classes I finally achieved what I had targeted. Wow…it still gives me a high to think about this (my successful achievement of a personal milestone !!)

When I look back and think about my first swimming class I can only say – “there’s always a first time and it’s never too late to learn something.” :)    


 Megha is a guest blogger for "Hangout with Coffee"

No comments:

Post a Comment